On 1st September 2022 the Children’s Commissioner launched the Independent Family Review at Policy Exchange. As part of the launch, the Commissioner revealed findings such as –
• There are 8.2 million families with children in the UK
• 63% of those families were married couples with children, 14% were cohabiting and 23% were lone parents.
• 42% of families have one child, 42% have two children and 15% have three or more children.
• 49% of children living in lone parent families were in relative poverty after housing costs, compared with 25% of children living in married or cohabiting families.
• Over 80,000 children are in care, and many more in less formal arrangements, including kinship care.